Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never before have so numerous clinical developments and brand-new techniques emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless individuals the chance to minimize or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and quick way to remedy vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by fancy ads about a particular laser. Select the physician, not the laser center. Discover who will in fact do your treatment, then inquire about that physician's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Choose a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor doesn't know can injure you.
4. Ask for info on your physician's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. Find another one if your doctor will not inform you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what steps are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the threat of getting less than skilled care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, check out this site however do not expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals around the world.